Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


CodeCon 2006, Day 0

  • 18th Feb, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Originally uploaded by sfllaw.

After a long week of working in Toronto and being friendly to new faces, I got on a jet plane and left for San Francisco. That was on the 9th. I did this so that I could be friendly to new faces. Why do I do this to myself? I have no idea. But it is fun!

I waited around in a part of Terminal 3 that looked like it was still under construction. There were people in hard-hats walking around and rivetting beams to pillars. I chatted with a woman who was flying to Fort Lauderdale for business meetings and then she had to leave for her flight.

It was very odd getting on to mine. I had to walk out an emergency exit, on to the tarmac, back inside, out another door, on the tarmac again, and on to the plane. It was quite cold that day and rather windy too. So windy, in fact, that we encountered turbluence when we took off. Luckily, the pilot was able to keep the plane under control so we didn't go smashing into the earth in a fiery ball. That would have been unpleasant.

I had a short layover in Philidelphia again, which was very nice as usual. I watched one man sell parlour tricks to some tourists: he had an LED light that would levitate in his hands and spin. They were quite mesmerised and bought one.

We Be Sushi
Originally uploaded by sfllaw.

I managed to get some sleep on the flight in to San Francisco, and woke up in time to see the lights below. It's a very pretty city from above, glittering and glowing in the night. I got off the aeroplane and headed for the baggage check. Once again, spider88 was waiting there for me. She is my aeroport guardian angel. This time, she had brought along kineticphoenix and riseorbleed.

Since I was famished, we quickly left to find some food. We tried to eat at Mikado Sushi, which is run by their friends, but it was closed for a private party. With this plan ruined, we walked about in confusion before we went into We Be Sushi, which had an awesome sign out front.

After a very tasty dinner with some astounding hamachi, we waddled out and were in danger of collapsing from a food coma. So Spider and I were dropped off with our luggage at the W San Francisco. Now this hotel is slightly different than the W Seattle; of course, it shares the exorbitant prices but it's the details that are significant. Like an Etch-a-Sketch in every room!

I had a shower to wash off seven hours of travel grime before I changed into something less comfortable and more stylish. Then I felt civilised enough to head down to the XYZ where the CodeCon Speakers and Organizers Reception was being held. I chatted with some people who would be presenting, read Creatures in My Head on a Michelle's laptop, met John who maintains kernel.org, was introduced to bramcohen, and talked a lot about UniConf.

Then I went upstairs to sleep. Man, fancy hotels sure have comfortable beds.