Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


A boring and unexciting move

  • 24th Dec, 2004 at 11:34 PM

Julie's moving curse seems to have broken. Our move to Montréal was the most boring and uneventful one we've had yet. Huzzah!

I had a most pleasant time with Discount Truck Rental who actually had a van ready at the time I had reserved it. I was a little drowsy but I made it to Waterloo in six hours. That's what you get when you drive non-stop.

I arrived at Julie's place at around 17:00, which is when Julie had her exam. I let myself in, said hello to ringzero and proceeded to start packing books. After I was finished putting as many things as I could into boxes, Julie came home. We went next door and chatted with Adeel for a bit, before going to sleep.

The next day, we spent the whole time making boxes and putting things in them. Jim stopped by to help take stuff out to the car and the dumpster, which was of unparalleled help. I couldn't have done it in a reasonable time without him. By midnight, everything that could survive the cold was already in the car, and everything else was packed.

In the morning, I woke up at 5:00 to get everything ready and was greeted by snow gently drifting down. Julie was a good sport for being woken at 7:00, and we tried to hussle and get her bed packed up. We left the parking lot at 10:00, which was actually difficult because there was about 40 cm of snow on the ground. There was some maneuvering to pick up breakfast at the nearest supermarket, and then a slow drive out to the highway. Sadly, we drove over four hours before getting to a well-ploughed stretch of the highway, and it took us another eight hours to end up in Montréal. There were plenty of stops along the way though.

By midnight, we got to the NitiHouse, I was exhausted. Still, I braced myself for the large number of boxes I had to move upstairs. That's when the doorbell rang and I opened the door to see der Mouse there. He and I got all the heavy stuff into the common areas before he left for home. He even came to help when he was feeling ill. What a guy! I think it was about 5:00 before I got to sleep.

Today, I slept in as much as I could. It was luxurious to unwind after weeks of just working continuously. After I got up, I walked around Monkland with Julie as she did her grocery shopping. I had a good time just strolling around with her, and seeing all the good things she was getting for Christmas dinner. By 14:00, we had gotten to Villa-Maria station, and we parted ways there. I went to the train station, and waite forever since the train arrived late. I spent a long time drifting in and out of sleep on the train, and by the time we got to Toronto it was 21:00. Soon I was home at last, and tucking into dinner. Tomorrow, we rise at 5:00 again in order to get to the aeroport for a 16 hour flight. I have no idea how I'll survive.

With any luck, there will be power outlets on the plane. If not, I guess I can try coding in the coil-bound notebook I brought with me. I will try to write more about each day that I'm there, so that people can follow along.